THE RED GAMBIT SERIES

Author Colin Gee

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Questions about Sacrifice, Chapter 124

Keith Lange

I've got a few questions about the excerpt of Chap. 124 that you posted on Facebook. First off, you mention that France as well as Germany has begun manufacturing the St44 & MG42. Will France give all of it's production to the German Rep military, or will it keep some, like for Knocke's Legion units? Second, when it comes to manufacturing new small arms, wouldn't France want to also put the MAS 44 semi auto rifle in production? After all their standard light machine gun was the FM 24/29, which the French would want to keep, because they preferred it to the B.A.R., so 7.5mm would still be in use. Third, what are the non-Legion French Army units equipped with? American equipment? French? A mixture? Fourth, would Romania, Bulgaria and the rest of Eastern Europe apart from Yugoslavia be truly considered Soviet allies?I was under the impression that Romania didn't go Communist until 1947 or 48, and Bulgaria didn't go Marxist until 1946. Finally, how widely destributed would the T20E2 Garand be among US forces?

August 21, 2014 at 6:26 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Firstly, the terms of the agreement mean that France's production of the ST44 and MG42 will be split with Germany, as it will, at least to start with, be greater than Germany's capacity to produce. My understanding was the the MAS rifles were more shelved because the US made weapons available, rather than because of their ineffectiveness. In fact, the MAS44 had a decent reputation as a weapon. Whenever I make decisions regarding the French, I tend to go with the idea that they like to have stuff that is French wherever possible, so I see no reason why they wouldn'y produce the 44, especially as the US has other calls on its Garands et al. The French Army in 45 had a leavening of weapons from pretty much everyone, from enfield through garands, lebel and M1 carbines to Kar98k. Basically, beggars could not be choosers at that time, although they obviously also possessed original French weaponry the 44 was started in the winter of 44, and they would have been keen to have it in the hands of French soldiers asap, regardless of any logistical issues. In Rg terms, they would have continued producing it, rather than stopping as per real life.

Yes, I am including those countries as Soviet Allies as they are providing some forces to support the Soviets without coercion. I do not include the Polish at this time. Romanians fought alongside the Red Army against the Germans of course, as did the Bulgarians and Hungarians.

The T20E2 [its present designation until I decide what to call it] will be issued as quickly as possible, once it has been proved to do what it says on the tin. If field conversion is possible, it may well speed matters up too. It must be remembered that the Garand was a superb weapon, and a real game changer. But with the possibility of ST44's and AK47's in numbers, how would it stand?

--

August 21, 2014 at 8:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk at August 21, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Firstly, the terms of the agreement mean that France's production of the ST44 and MG42 will be split with Germany, as it will, at least to start with, be greater than Germany's capacity to produce. My understanding was the the MAS rifles were more shelved because the US made weapons available, rather than because of their ineffectiveness. In fact, the MAS44 had a decent reputation as a weapon. Whenever I make decisions regarding the French, I tend to go with the idea that they like to have stuff that is French wherever possible, so I see no reason why they wouldn'y produce the 44, especially as the US has other calls on its Garands et al. The French Army in 45 had a leavening of weapons from pretty much everyone, from enfield through garands, lebel and M1 carbines to Kar98k. Basically, beggars could not be choosers at that time, although they obviously also possessed original French weaponry the 44 was started in the winter of 44, and they would have been keen to have it in the hands of French soldiers asap, regardless of any logistical issues. In Rg terms, they would have continued producing it, rather than stopping as per real life.

Yes, I am including those countries as Soviet Allies as they are providing some forces to support the Soviets without coercion. I do not include the Polish at this time. Romanians fought alongside the Red Army against the Germans of course, as did the Bulgarians and Hungarians.

The T20E2 [its present designation until I decide what to call it] will be issued as quickly as possible, once it has been proved to do what it says on the tin. If field conversion is possible, it may well speed matters up too. It must be remembered that the Garand was a superb weapon, and a real game changer. But with the possibility of ST44's and AK47's in numbers, how would it stand?

I thought that you stated that while the Soviets may certainly get SKSs in the field, the AK was not on the table. In the 1930s, the French, when the adopted the 7.5mm decided on the front line Army units having a semiautomatic rifle (which would have been the MAS 40, if things turned out differently), and the second line units having a bolt action one (which was the MAS 36) Do you think that the French will go with a system such as that? Equip top of the line units with mainly French weapons (such as MAS 44 rifles) with some having Garands, and second line having bolt actions (Enfields, kar98ks, MAS 36s)? So what French units will get the St44s and MG42s? Knocke's units? Any others? I know about Emilian's RAG in Impasse, could you perhaps tell me more about the non Polish countries contributions to the Soviet war effort?

August 21, 2014 at 9:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

The AK is not on the table at the moment, but will be once the Soviets are happy with it, as they can see its potential, In the chapter I say clearly that it isnt ready but they have set aside production facilities ready for when it is.

I think the French will do what they can to give French stuff to the French soldiery. Ergo, the new and old French frontline divisions will be more likely to receive the MAS when it is available in numbers.

I wont comment further on what the German Legion is going to get.

ST44s and MG42s will go to all sorts of different places. regardless of the lack of frenchness, I have a feeling the French will call them by a french name, which will make them french :-)

Similarly, I must hold bak on the soviet allies, as there will be future developments for pretty much all of them. To date, their contribution has not rocked the world. Like you say, the Rumanian Armoured Group is in North Italy and now consists of a donkey and two bandages. There will be other mentions for the Allied nations, but they may not be what you expect :-)

--

August 22, 2014 at 2:30 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk at August 22, 2014 at 2:30 AM

The AK is not on the table at the moment, but will be once the Soviets are happy with it, as they can see its potential, In the chapter I say clearly that it isnt ready but they have set aside production facilities ready for when it is.

I think the French will do what they can to give French stuff to the French soldiery. Ergo, the new and old French frontline divisions will be more likely to receive the MAS when it is available in numbers.

ST44s and MG42s will go to all sorts of different places. regardless of the lack of frenchness, I have a feeling the French will call them by a french name, which will make them french :-)

Similarly, I must hold bak on the soviet allies, as there will be future developments for pretty much all of them. To date, their contribution has not rocked the world. Like you say, the Rumanian Armoured Group is in North Italy and now consists of a donkey and two bandages. There will be other mentions for the Allied nations, but they may not be what you expect :-)

August 22, 2014 at 2:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk at August 22, 2014 at 2:30 AM

The original development for the AK started in 1945 and a prototype called the AK-46 was submitted for evaluation in 1946, but it was only in 1947 that it was cleared for production for use by select Soviet forces. With that in mind, I suspect that if the AK does indeed make a appearance, it'll probably be in the late part of the war and maybe in relatively small numbers. I think that the Soviets will probably focus more on SKSs, and maybe M44 Mosins for the immediate time period. Do you think that the French produce only the MAS 44, or will they still make the older bolt action MAS 36 as well to supplement it? What future developments will be in store for the Soviet allies? Will they see combat on a significant scale?

August 22, 2014 at 2:51 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Thinking at that time could undeerstand that the battlefield was better suited to assault rifle type weapons.

regarding the AK47, dont forget, with the needs of the continued war. I an speed things up a little.

--

August 22, 2014 at 2:53 AM Flag Quote & Reply

denis rea

Colin, you mention speeding things up. Will you be bringing forward the intorduction of the Centurion MkIII with it's 20 pounder stabilised gun & the M26 'Super Pershing'/M46? As British based tank production would be capable of  producing 300 of centurions per month, will we see them in the spring of 46? There should be a surplus of steel for both the US & UK with the limited Naval capacity of the USSR & Empire of Japan.As low ship losses reduces the demand for replacements. This should allow a large increase in capcity in US armoured production. One other thing I'm curious about is transportation. The USSR recieved hundreds of thousands of trucks, jeeps, ambulances, 2000 locomotives etc by lend lease. Trucks wear out parts fast with rough use. No lend lease = no spares or replacements. How is this effecting the logistics of the Red Army? (not to mention partisan activity & air strikes)

August 22, 2014 at 10:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Basically, the answer to your questions is yes. Allied tank production lines have now recovered from their hasty reversion to civilian purposes, which has already brought new tanks into the equation. The mark 3will come, but the 20pdr means its not yet available until the gin is ready.

The soviet logistic issues are not improving. They will have seized a lot of kit during their advance, but I really feel that, even without the interdiction, their supply situation is a disaster waiting to happen.

--

August 22, 2014 at 5:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk at August 22, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Basically, the answer to your questions is yes. Allied tank production lines have now recovered from their hasty reversion to civilian purposes, which has already brought new tanks into the equation. The mark 3will come, but the 20pdr means its not yet available until the gin is ready.

The soviet logistic issues are not improving. They will have seized a lot of kit during their advance, but I really feel that, even without the interdiction, their supply situation is a disaster waiting to happen.

Probably quite a few in the Soviet military are thinking they may well have bitten off more than they can chew (at least easily), in other words.

August 22, 2014 at 5:35 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

I think that puts it rather well :-)

--

August 23, 2014 at 7:23 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

When is Chap 124 set? During the spring of 1946?

September 13, 2014 at 10:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

So am I correct in assuming that eventually all German Wehrmacht Heer units will be equipped as the old 1st Infantry Divison of Army Group South-the St44 will be the standard rifle of the average infantry soldier, which MP40s will be given to vehicle and artillery crewmen and officers, and the Kar98k will still be used but for sniping and rifle grenad launching?

September 20, 2014 at 5:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Keith Lange

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk at August 21, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Should the T20E2 be adopted, if would give the average infantryman the firepower of a BAR, rendering the latter redudant. So what do you think would replace them for the squad automatic role The M1919A6?

September 20, 2014 at 5:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

go back to the top