THE RED GAMBIT SERIES

Author Colin Gee

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > Sacrifice...(SPOILER ALERT, if you don't want to be spoiled, don't read this)

Keith Lange

My opinion of Sacrifice is that it's a good read, though a bit more dark than the previous RG novels, with the possible exception of Impasse. This is because some of the characters that we came to know and maybe even care for were killed off, such as Schultz and Muller. He also was willing to kill off famous real life personages, such as Konev and Skorszeny. 

PS, how many casualities did the NKVD troops suffer at the hands of Skorszeny's paratroopers? Light, medium, heavy?

December 28, 2014 at 2:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

ChrisC
Administrator

Never thought too much about it. however, I think its fair to say that the Quad mount and the bombs hacked quite a few down. I suspect few fell in the other drives on the landing zone. For sure the maxson will have claimed most, although the retreating Storch and the rearguard will have accounted for a few of course. Overall, I would expect that the Soviet casualties were more than the combined losses of Storch, air and ground crew, plus Polish contingent.

--

A moment of luck, good or bad, often plays a greater part in our destiny than hours of design.

Ernst-August Knocke

December 28, 2014 at 5:58 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Excroat3

This might just be me forgetting things, but what happened to the rest of the Soviet sub bases on Allied soil?  I thought that the Allies learned the locations of them, but I do not remember anything coming out of that discovery.

January 29, 2015 at 9:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Nice spot. I havent said. But as you ask, they are under surveillance. Might be crucial to something later on or might be a red herring. WHo knows :-)

--

January 30, 2015 at 4:20 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bennie McRae

I am a little more than halfway through the book now, on the part where Kim, the J-CLIP guy has jsus been caught and has realized that he has no hope. The build up to the allies Spectrum operation has been great and I can't wait till I start reading those chapters. My only complaint is I have kind of gotten lost in the story. I read about the Polish passing the messages through that bar, but then all of a sudden they were discovered and the Russians are coming after them. I missed how they were discovered as spys. 

March 7, 2015 at 1:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Chapter 138 will supply you with the answers :-)

--

March 7, 2015 at 4:52 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bennie McRae

SPOILERS: Finished reading it today. Awww why did you have to kill off Skorzeny? That is one of the reasons I love these books because there is always something unexpected waiting to happen. I did not see that ambush coming at all nor his death. 

March 7, 2015 at 11:59 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

There are two characters that are virtually fireproof, but I have found that the fact that anyone might breath their last on the next page to be a central factor in the series' popularity. Losing some characters is hard, for me as a writer, so it has to be hard for the readers, especially if it is someone in whom they have invested.

--

March 8, 2015 at 4:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Bennie McRae

I wanted to let you know that you were dead on when the reporter was describing the horrors on that hill after it got hit with napalm. When he mentioned that smell I knew EXACTLY what he was talking about because I still remember it from Desert Storm. It is a sickly, sweet smell of burning human flesh. I still remember that smell to this day and while reading that passage I felt as if he was describing Iraq. A very good job describing it. Very authentic!

March 9, 2015 at 3:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

gee_colin@yahoo.co.uk
Site Owner

Thank you for that.

--

March 10, 2015 at 6:19 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.

go back to the top